Skip to main content
Lasque Tiarc

Ludhiana: Hit-and-run claims the couple’s lives on their wedding anniversary

Vaseline 2 months ago

A couple were killed in a road accident on Sunday after a speeding SUV (Sports Utility Vehicle) hit their scooter near Ghudani Kalan village near Payal. The driver of the SUV drove away after the incident.

Jarnail Singh Kainth, 60, and his wife Rajwinder Kaur, 58. (HT photo)
Jarnail Singh Kainth, 60, and his wife Rajwinder Kaur, 58. (HT photo)

To make the incident even more poignant, the couple went to pay tribute on the occasion of their wedding anniversary.

HT launches Crick-it, a one-stop destination to catch Cricket anytime, anywhere. Discover now!

After the accident, Payal police filed a first information report (FIR) against the driver of the Mahindra Scorpio, identified as Sandeep Kumar of Lamme Jatpura village in Jagraon.

The victims were identified as Jarnail Singh Kainth, 60, of Beeja and his wife Rajwinder Kaur, 58. According to the eyewitnesses, the impact of the collision was so strong that Jarnail died on the spot. His wife was rushed to Dayanand Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) where she succumbed to her injuries during treatment.

Payal Station House Officer (SHO) sub-inspector Satnam Singh said the couple had left the house on a scooter at 10 am to pay obeisance at Gurdwara Rara Sahib on the occasion of their wedding anniversary. When they reached Ghudani Kalan village, a speeding Scorpio hit their scooter from front before fleeing.

The SHO added that after the onlookers informed the police, they reached the spot and rushed the woman to DMCH where she succumbed to the injuries. The police have informed the victims’ family.

He added that the hunt is on to arrest the suspected driver.

Survived by son, two married daughters

The couple leaves behind a son and two married daughters. Jarnail Singh had a tailor shop on Samrala road in Beeja. His son Gursewak Singh had immigrated to Canada six months ago. They had contacted their son by telephone on Sunday morning, who wished them their anniversary. The bodies have been sent to a civil hospital for post-mortem. The relatives said they would cremate the bodies after their son’s arrival from Canada.