Skip to main content
Lasque Tiarc

Dabaris settles for a 12-12 draw with Gurias

Vaseline 2 months ago

The second round of the DIGICEL ExxonMobil Cup between Gas Resources PNGLNG Plant Limited Central Dabaris and ENB Agmark Rabaul Gurias ended in a 12-point draw.

The match to watch kicked off at the Santos National Football Stadium in Port Moresby before the big dance of the sixth round of the Hostplus Cup began in the afternoon.

Dabaris bounced back from a six-point loss to Jiwaka Waghi Tumbe last weekend, with Gurias hoping to claim another victory after defeating 2023 champion Enga Mioks in the first round.

The scoreless 20 minutes of the first half were intense and evenly matched before New Guinea Islander and Gurias half-back Mark Alunga took a two-point penalty inside 20 yards to put Dabaris 2-0 in the lead.

Dabaris hooker Mathew Wawe returned the favor after picking up a set play from his halves and diving under the post in the 27th minute before successfully converting the two points to put his side ahead on the scoreboard 6-2.

Dabaris forwards, including former Gurias Andickson Yamason, put up a tight defense but failed to stop blond giant lock and man of the match Simon Johnson from scoring before half-time.

Johnson was solid in defense in the first half alongside the Hunters’ extended man Anthony Worot and backed up by substitute Daniel Pai, leaving no room for Dabaris attackers to push through.

It was a tight match for both sides as Gurias half-back Mark Alunga dropped in the conversion of Simon’s try and Dabaris hooker and kicker Mathew Wawe returned the favor with a two-point penalty just seconds after half-time.

Coaches Jessy Alunga and Steve Gunua are on their toes during the half-time break.

Each side stood on the half-time words of their coaches to maintain a tight defense that kept the tie spirit alive for almost 30 minutes, when small ringing Agmark Gurias fullback Junias Guan scored on the short side to give the Dabaris a lead.

The conversion was unsuccessful, Gurias led 12–8 and the supporters hoped to celebrate their second win of the season away from home.

With just 7 minutes left on the clock as full-time entered, Dabaris fought back with a ball work on the far right wing that paved the way for reserve full-back and SP Hunters development player Gairo Voro to level the score at 12.

ENB Agmark Rabaul Gurias kept their hopes alive as first on the ladder when Dabaris kicker Mathew Wawe missed the conversion on the wing.

The close game ended in the 80th minute with the score tied at 12-12.